Get your boiler serviced to avoid carbon monoxide leaks!

16 Nov
gas service

Get your boiler serviced to avoid carbon monoxide leaks!

Carbon monoxide, commonly known as the ‘silent killer’, is a highly poisonous gas that is produced by faulty gas appliances, including boilers and central heating systems.

Many people are unaware of this deadly gas, as carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless. This makes it impossible to detect without installing a carbon monoxide alarm.

The best way to protect your family and home from a carbon monoxide leak is to ensure your boiler is serviced annually. The gas safe engineer will not only carry out the standard maintenance checks but will make sure any faults or potential leaks can be detected early.

What causes carbon monoxide leaks?

Carbon monoxide, which is a poisonous gas, is produced when fuels such as gas or oil don’t burn 100%. In a boiler, carbon monoxide is produced when there is insufficient oxygen for all the gas in the combustion chamber to be burnt.

It is also caused by poor ventilation and low maintenance of appliances around the home. You should make sure any chimneys; vents or flues are free from any breakage or obstructions.


Looking for a local Gas Safe Engineer?  Contact our 24/7 support team today on  01455 848 491


Here’s what you need to look out for to keep your home safe!

6 main carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms that mainly occur when you are at home:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Fainting

Signs to look out for around your home

  • Does your boiler pilot light blow out frequently?
  • Unusual dark staining around appliances
  • More condensation than normal
  • Others in your household including pets are experiencing similar health problems as mentioned above

Prevention

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm
  • Annual boiler service from your local gas safe engineer
  • If you suspect a gas leak, stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property

 

Getting your boiler and heating system serviced on an annual basis can solve any potential risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Contact us today to book your annual boiler service